06 January 2011

ZOMG Roasted Bell Pepper Salsa (Tomato-Free!)

This is my spin on the Jumbo Chili Sauce I recently saw on Nigella Kitchen.   I was glad she had it on her show because I'd bought this jar of roasted red peppers (on clearance!) and didn't really know what to do with them.  ZOMG, I am about to pass out from delight -- I really enjoyed this salsa.  It tastes way better than it sounds, but it sounds pretty good anyway.  I've never made a tomato-free salsa before, but now, I am sold.  Expand your mind, man....

 ZOMG Roasted Bell Pepper Salsa (Tomato-Free!)

In a food processor, puree:
  • 480g (340 g drained) roasted red peppers, drained*
  • small white onion
  • 1 jalapeño (stemmed, but not seeded)
  • 1 clove garlic
  • juice of 1/2 lime
  • pinch salt
Check seasonings.  This is where I went into a state of food-induced bliss.  Add more lime and salt if you think you need it (I didn't**).

Add 2-3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil.  Puree a bit more. 

Dish up*** and eat, probably with some tortilla chips.  If you can make it out of the kitchen before finishing it, congratulate yourself on your will power. 

Normally, I would be all, top with chopped cilantro and green onions, but this is so good on it's own, I didn't want to mess with perfection. 


*  Use whatever you can find -- I know how hard it is to find specialty ingredients -- or roast your own peppers and add a little vinegar or extra lime juice to the salsa.

**  Which is saying something, considering I am usually really liberal with lime.

***  I confess, I licked the food processor blades, I was so enamoured with the salsa.  

No comments:

Post a Comment