06 October 2011

Rosemary, Onion, and Olive Oil Country Biscuits


My husband loves these country biscuits because they have rosemary in them.  He will eat them all, unless I tell him to save some for the rest of us.  My 3-year old loves these simply because they are called country biscuits.  My toddler likes them, but will eat a bite or two and then as soon as I turn my back, crumble the rest to bits and gleefully kickie-grind the crumbs into the carpet while I shout, "No, Ray-Gold!  Stop!" Then my 3-year old gets excited because this means I'm going to use the vacuum cleaner.

Preheat your oven to 400°F/200°C.

The Characters:
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 4 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary (about 1 sprig) or 1-2 tsp dried rosemary
  • 2 cups self-raising flour or 2 c all-purpose/plain flour & 1 tbsp baking powder sifted together
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt
  • about 3/4 c nondairy milk*

Gently fry the onion in the olive oil.  When it starts to turn clear, add the rosemary, stir, and fry for another minute or two.  The rosemary should be fragrant, but not burning.

Pour in the onions, rosemary, and olive oil into the flour and mix until it resembles coarse meal.  Stir in the non-dairy milk.  Knead your dough -- just a little! -- on a floured surface. Form into smooshed balls and place on a non-greased baking tray.  Pop them into the oven for about 10-12 minutes.  Keep an eye on them towards the end -- you want them to be golden brown, but not too toasty, so they are still soft on the inside.

Makes about 2 dozen.  Or none if you forget to tell your husband to save you some.  ;p

*  I say about 3/4 of a cup because you want the dough to be moist, but not enough to stick to the sides of the bowl-moist, so use as much or as little as you need. 

4 comments:

  1. These sound great, but I can't say no to anything with rosemary either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this post made me laugh - no wonder your husband eats them himself - at least they get a bit of appreciation that way!

    my two year old loves crumbling anything I bake - preferably on the couch if she has her way!

    ReplyDelete