23 September 2013

Porridge


If you'd asked me a few years ago what my favourite porridge was, I would have said grits.  I like all kinds of porridge, but lately, oatmeal has won my heart.  I eat it almost every morning.  I like mine with cinnamon, raisins, and a pinch of cayenne pepper.  Maybe add some chopped apricots and a little clove, nutmeg, and ginger, too, if I'm feeling feisty.  If I'm really feeling indulgent, I like it with maple syrup.  Sometimes, I go the Scottish route and have it with salt.

I'm always looking for new porridges (Hello, Gari!) and new ways to eat oatmeal (yes, I find it as exciting as Bert), so please leave a comment and share your suggestions.

P.S.  I used to work for these Time Travellers and got the cayenne pepper idea from the lady.  She had her oatmeal with sliced banana, flax seeds, and a pinch of cayenne.  Bosslady also used to laugh about instant oatmeal because oatmeal hardly takes any time to cook.

P.P.S.   Speaking of breakfast foods, check out this cute blog about toast!

2 comments:

  1. How about baked oatmeal?

    http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Baked-Oatmeal-36506

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, neat-o! I've made porridge in a crock pot, but never thought to try it in the oven. Sometimes I feel like everything tastes better baked!

      Delete